I considered writing yet another post about Microsoft’s SharePoint CU and SP approach. But I guess that’s too easy…
After an unknown update to my main Windows environment, this error message appeared when I tried to send some emails:
Why, yes… its in Swedish. It mentions that an operation failed… And asks if the information was helpful.
Not really, some more details as to what failed and what to do about it would have been more helpful.
After scratching my head a bit I figured that it was because the name of the recipient had an extended or international character in their name.
So… my address-book is full of proper names, with é’s and åäö’s etc. in them.
Now Outlook can’t send emails to them and the only available workaround at the moment is to remove the offending characters from the name… welcome back to 1996 :|
Can anyone tell me what’s going on and how to get operations back to normal again?
Found this out of context translation on my HTC Desire Android phone when it was in locked mode and fully charged (as in the battery was fully charged with juice, not as in it had been charged a fee, accused of committing a crime or involved in some quantum chromodynamics research…)
The translation from the English “charged” ended in the Swedish equivalent with the meaning charged – a fee. A very comforting message to be greeted with by ones phone – here i thought it had been asleep and napping but in reality there was an all night shopping spree =|.
When providing cloud services to customers, it might seem as a good idea to have all information securely tucked away somewhere within the providers servers and storage devices. If, for instance, your phone is lost and all data is stored on a server somewhere its quite easy to just disable the phones access to the data and get a new one – up to speed with everything in minutes, nothing lost.
However, when its the other way around, you still have your phone but someone misplaced the cloud – then its another story altogether.
Like this little story here:
“Regrettably, based on Microsoft/Danger’s latest recovery assessment of their systems, we must now inform you that personal information stored on your device – such as contacts, calendar entries, to-do lists or photos – that is no longer on your Sidekick almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger.”
This is the current information (10-10-2009) for T-Mobiles’ Sidekick users in the US. Their phones store everything on Microsoft’s (Danger is a Microsoft subsidiary) servers somewhere in “the cloud”. When they manage to misplace their entire data store it seems that the whole idea that big, safe, knowledgeable corporations like Microsoft and T-Mobile are somehow better suited to provide a safe haven for your data is a little off.
Note to self: When providing cloud services to store clients data, make a backup copy and store it in a safe place.
UPDATE – After several weeks it seems as if everything actually managed to be found and almost restored… You still have to have your photos emailed to you but I guess that is ok since the Sidekick phone is probably not around anymore anyhow…