Category Archives: General

Workarounds for problems using Jetpack and https on Azure Websites

This entry is part 5 of 7 in the series Blog Meta

This is a follow up post on: Moving the blog to azure web sites:

2013-07-09: Update 2 – As of Version 2.3.1 the Jetpack plugin and the WordPress cloud have  been updated to support more SSL scenarios. Jetpack should now work without issues and configuration changes. The post below is still valid for other connected systems that doesn’t like mismatched SSL certificates.


One key feature missing from Azure Web Sites is the possibility to run your own SSL certificate for encrypted https traffic.

2013-06-03: Update 1 – https, SSL and certificates for custom domain names are now launched and available (for sites running in “reserved mode”) – read more here: The information below still applies in case you don’t want to use a reserved mode site.

This pretty much disables it for any real business use whatsoever.

Every single professional I have spoken with regarding this have chosen alternate solutions for their projects and tests. As usual a key problem here is no official words on availability and firm delivery dates to relate to. Finding a blog post or discussion thread where someone says it might be available as a feature in the future just doesn’t enable project budgets to be spent on Azure Web Sites even for tests and explorations.

Continue reading

Moving the blog to Azure Web Sites

This weekend an issue with another website running in the same tenant as this blog made the whole system go down. This episode made me finally spend some time moving the blog to Azure Websites. It should be running fine and exactly as before, but if you find anything out of the ordinary or not working, please let me know.

The earlier host was LAMP-based so I had to do some changes to get everything working as before:

1, I had to upload a web.config file to support pretty links and remove the need for index.php in the url. More information here:

and here:

2, I had to trick Jetpack into working properly since there was an error message about a self signed certificate that made the whole thing go overboard:

Apart from that there was just the usual parts, update the dns configuration to support the new dns name in Azure (, update the dns to point to the new host, migrate the content from the old host to the new and make sure everything was still configured as before.

While doing all of that I also managed to learn about the Core Control plugin (,

I also updated a few posts with manual Excerpts so that the posts displayed on the front page are truncated and a sticky post about migrating to Australia…

Update 2013-05-20: I have explored the JetPack issues some more and describe it here:

Excel Services: Unable to process the request. Wait a few minutes and try performing this operation again.


This error message appeared in a SharePoint 2010 farm/environment when trying to use Excel Services to display a Excel spreadsheet in SharePoint 2010.


Screenshot in English: Excel. Unable to process the request. Wait a few minutes and try performing this operation again.


Screenshot in Swedish: Excel. Det går inte att behandla begäran. Vänta några minuter innan du försöker utföra den här åtgärden igen.

After reviewing the Events and log files and finding error messages such as theese:


Event Viewer: Event 5239, Excel Services Application. There was an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Service (server address on port 32843, standard port for web services address ending with /ExcelService*.asmx)  exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.


The issue was that the web site used for the SharePoint Web Services had the ASP.NET Impersonation Authentication method enabled.


The solution is to disable the ASP.NET Impersonation again.

Go to IIS Manager (Start, Administrative Tools, Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager). Expand the Sites node on the server running the Excel Services Service Application. Choose the Authentication icon in the IIS area. Choose ASP.NET Impersonation in the list and disable it using the action link on the right hand side.


Screenshot: IIS Manager, Authentication settings for the SharePoint Web Services.

Continue reading

Relocating to Sydney, Australia

It’s time for The Big Adventure (again). Time to show all of the kids more of the world.

We are relocating to Australia in September 2013 and will initially settle in Sydney.

Visas, tickets etc. are all set and the only things missing at the moment is a perfect job and a perfect house.

If you are in need of a very accomplished CTO, Principal Consultant, Senior SharePoint Architect, Senior BI Architect or a Trainer/Mentor please contact me, I am available for discussions now.

If you know of the best places to work and live in Sydney (or elsewhere in Australia), please feel free to contact me or leave a comment below.

APP ERROR: Sorry, we couldn’t load the app because your browser version is not supported

This entry is part 1 of 3 in the series Create Time Dimension


When installing and running Office Excel 2013 on a host operating system where an Internet Explorer version earlier than IE9 apps will not work. Instead the the following error message will be displayed:



Sorry, we couldn’t load the app because your browser version is not supported. Click here for a list of supported browser versions.

Link to Microsoft support site about supported browser versions.

Snippet from the page:

Apps for Office on the desktop

To host the apps for Office in the Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project desktop programs, use at least Internet Explorer 9 with at least MS12-037: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: June 12, 2012 installed.

The solution to this problem is to upgrade to a supported browser type and version.